Why study health in China?
Please note that SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, however, SIT may have to change or cancel programs.
Beautiful Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province, is known for its good air quality, spacious parks, and ethnically diverse population. From this base, you’ll learn Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) philosophies and techniques by shadowing medical professionals at Yunnan Provincial Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital. In lectures, you’ll learn the history of TCM and its philosophical foundation in Daoism; the concepts of yin and yang, the organs, and the meridians; and the pharmacopoeia of TCM herbal medicine. You’ll visit parks and gardens with a botanist to learn about healing plants and herbs, explore a TCM pharmacy, and see a demonstration of medicine making. On excursions to Weibaoshan Mountain, Dali ancient cities and Shaxi ancient town, Lijiang World Heritage site, and Zhongdian Tibetan area, you’ll explore the unique qualities of indigenous ethnic minority healing systems. At the end of the summer, you’ll have a TCM certificate from Yunnan Provincial Chinese Medicine Hospital and a good foundation in Chinese language.
- Obtain a certificate from Yunnan Provincial Chinese Medicine Hospital.
- Earn two Chinese language credits, learning from ACTFL-certified instructors.
- Observe indigenous and minority healing systems on multiple field excursions.
- Learn 24-form Taiji through daily Taiji exercises.
- Learn TCM theory and techniques, as well as artistic healing methods.
Previous college-level coursework or other significant preparation in the health sciences or a related field, as assessed by SIT.