- ADMISSIONS & AID
- HEALTH, SAFETY & WELL-BEING
- MEDIA CENTER
Cost & Scholarships
SIT Study Abroad is committed to making international education accessible to all students. Scholarship awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs and $500 to $3,000 for summer programs. This year, SIT will award nearly 1 million in scholarships and grants to SIT Study Abroad students.
SIT Pell Grant Match Award Our Pell Grant Match program provides matching grants up to $2,500 for SIT Study Abroad semester students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding from their home college or university and up to a $1,000 match for summer term students. This award can be applied to any SIT immersive program. Qualified students must complete the scholarship portion of their application. View all SIT Study Abroad scholarships.
The tuition fee covers the following program components:
- Content and logistics for field programs in New York, Nepal, Jordan, and Chile
- Cost of all faculty who provide instruction to students in four courses
- Guest lectures and panel discussions
- Site visit hosts and facilitators
- Transportation to classroom spaces and daily program activities
- All educational excursions to locations, including all related travel costs
- Emergency accident and illness insurance coverage while outside of the US during the program period
- Instructional materials
- Other direct program costs
The following are covered by SIT Study Abroad:
- Group flights from the launch site and between program countries and back to the U.S. at the end of the program.
- Group travel in each country program for program activities (buses, taxis, boats, trains, metro, etc.)
Room & Board
The room and board fee covers the following program components:
- All accommodations during the entire program period are covered by SIT Study Abroad directly. This includes orientation, time in all countries, urban and rural stays, and all excursions.
- All meals for the entire program period are covered directly by SIT Study Abroad.
Travel to Program Launch Site
Students are responsible for their travel to the program launch site and back from the U.S. arrival city at the end of the program. These costs vary greatly based on many factors, including distance and mode of transportation.
Visa requirements are different for each country. You may be required to present paper documents directly to a foreign consulate in person prior to arrival.
You may be asked to show proof of certain vaccinations before traveling to regions with a high prevalence of some diseases. You can usually obtain this documentation from your primary healthcare provider.
SIT requires you to carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the end of your intended stay. For U.S. citizens, passport processing time may take up to six weeks.
Books & Supplies
The cost of books varies on each program and special supplies may be required. Please see your pre-departure document for details.
Each student must bring a smart phone that is able to accept a local SIM card with them to their program, or they must purchase a smart phone locally.
Personal expenses during the program vary based on individual spending habits and budgets. While all meals and accommodations are covered in the room and board fee, incidentals and personal transportation costs differ depending on the non-program-related interests and pursuits of each student. To learn more about personal budgeting, we recommend speaking with alumni who participated in a program in your region. See a full list of our alumni contacts. Please note that free time to pursue non-program-related activities is limited.
Please Note: Fees and additional expenses are based on all known circumstances at the time of calculation. Due to the unique nature of our programs and the economics of host countries, SIT reserves the right to change its fees or additional expenses without notice.
In order to make study abroad more accessible, SIT’s partner colleges and universities may charge home school tuition fees for their students participating on an SIT Study Abroad program. If your institution has an agreement with SIT and charges fees different from those assessed by SIT, please contact your study abroad advisor for more details. The SIT published price is the cost to direct enroll in the SIT program. Tuition fees may vary for students based on your home college’s or university’s billing policies with SIT.
Room & Board
Airfare to/from program site, visa expenses, immunizations, books & supplies, international phone services, and personal expenses are not included in the tuition or room & board.
* These are estimated costs. Actual costs may vary.