This virtual internship and online seminar will focus on the role of nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) working on research, conservation, and environmental issues. Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, however it is also facing environmental challenges such as deforestation, pollution, overfishing, and resource depletion.
Your program will begin with an introduction to the environmental, social, and political context of Ecuador; workplace norms; and the ethics of working with an NGO in another country. Then, you will complete an online internship focused on environmental issues in Ecuador, such as: online environmental campaigns, planning environmental education programs, monitoring key habitats and species, environmental activism, indigenous rights, or another issue related to your interests and career goals.
Your program will be academically rigorous and will cover topics such as ecosystems functioning, key flora and fauna, impacts of the mining and petroleum industries, deforestation and fragmentation, agroindustry, pollution, and others. You will be expected to devote 180 hours to this program, including 10–12 hours a week “on” the internship site, 24 hours in synchronous discussions led by the academic director, and up to 25 hours writing six progress reports and a final paper. Virtual attendance is required for all discussions and oral presentations.
- Engage in discussions about environmental campaigns, environmental education programs, habitats and species conservation, and environmental activism.
- Complete a virtual internship with an Ecuadorian community organization or NGO.
- Develop your professional Spanish-language skills.
- Participate in weekly group reflection and assessments led by the academic director.
- Build your résumé and professional experience with an internship related to your interests.
Two semesters of college-level Spanish or equivalent. Previous college-level coursework and/or significant preparation in environmental studies, ecology, biology, or related fields is highly recommended for this virtual internship.