Jordan: Health and Community Development
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2014 Overview Brochure (PDF, 2MB)
- View the 2014 Semester Catalog (PDF, 8MB)
- View the 2014 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear
Students will visit health facilities in Amman and across Jordan and discuss population needs in healthcare and the roles played by NGOs in providing health education to diverse populations, including refugees and Bedouins. Learn more about the program's excursions.
Students will receive intensive language instruction in Modern Standard Arabic through the program's 3-credit language course; a component on Jordanian Colloquial Arabic is part of the course.
Two homestays — an extended urban stay in Amman and a shorter rural stay with a Bedouin family — offer students the dramatic contrast necessary to contextualize healthcare and community development in urban and rural Jordan. Learn more about the program's homestays.
Independent Study Project
Students will spend the last month of the program working on an Independent Study Project (ISP) in which they conduct primary research on a selected topic related to the theme of the program. The ISP is conducted in Amman or in another approved location in Jordan appropriate to the project.
Sample topic areas include:
- Poverty and healthcare in Jordan
- Refugees and healthcare
- Health promotion and diet in rural Jordan
- Medical tourism and local development
- Obesity and diabetes among female teenagers
- Impact of water shortage on the health of Bedouin tribes
- Media and health promotion
- Health education and children’s school textbooks
- Role of private health clinics in health development in Jordan
- Religion and health prevention of sexually transmitted diseases
View Student Evaluations for this program:
888.272.7881 (toll-free in US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA